Why go electric?
All the building blocks are now in place to make electric cars a real choice for drivers. The car industry's major players are racing to build desirable, affordable electric cars, the batteries are cheaper and can get you further, the public recharge network is being built by Better Place, the customers are ready and waiting, and governments around the world are signing on.
- Electric cars are superior to drive than their petrol-powered equivalent, because they are faster, quieter and smoother
- Electric motors have far better power-to-weight ratios than petrol engines so you can get more torque and faster acceleration at low speeds. In other words, when you put your foot down, you can feel it!
Watch a V8 Supercar champion test drive an all-electric Holden Commodore prototype
- Lithium-ion batteries store more than twice as much energy as earlier models, and capacity is improving dramatically each year.
Read our technical note on sustainability and electric car batteries
- Where would petrol cars be without petrol stations? We're installing Charge Spots and Switch Stations around the world, so you can go wherever you like, whenever you like. No running out, no waiting, no worries.
Watch how you can Drive-Switch-Go with the Better Place network
- As consumers become increasingly aware of the consequences of our dependence on imported oil, their desire for change grows.
- Climate change has become this century’s defining issue. A new generation of consumer is waking up to the environmental challenges of the future and they want to be part of the solution.
- Governments around the world are making switching simple. They've set production targets for electric cars and batteries, they're making sure the conditions for investment are right, and they're offering big incentives for consumers.
- The private sector has followed suit. In recent years, billions of dollars have been invested in the electric car industry worldwide, creating thousands of jobs and new opportunities for growth. Big business knows the future is electric.